I didn’t think it was going to happen, but I actually did everything I set out to this weekend.
I know, holy shit.
I mowed the yard Friday (that’s a lot of fun with a cold!) and went to bed early that night. Saturday night, I brainstormed the hell out of what I wanted to do. Literally, I walked around my living room talking to myself for three hours. I actually went a bit overboard on that because by the time I went to bed, I hadn’t written anything and had convinced myself to change the entire last third of the story. Part of the reason I didn’t write was because I freaked myself out so bad.
Luckily, I came back from that and just wrote the two chapters I wanted to add. That worked pretty damn great to. In four or five hours (split up no less) I generated 6,800 words, a new record for me. The first chapter is stronger than the second, it will need some work, and I still need to integrate everything, but I am good to go.
My biggest concern was how long that would make the story. I think these additional chapters will be about 8000 by the time I finish, which brings the story to 127,000 words. Considering I was hoping to cut it to 110,000, that’s pretty scary. I still have a lot to trim though, and there are a few chapters in particular I think I can cut some serious fat on. end goal is around 115,000 but I’d be willing to accept 120,000. We’ll see.
This is probably going to be something I harp on continually for the next week, but if anyone is interested in reading the first three chapters (here, here, and here respectively) I’d love to hear feedback. The full book will be out in seven days.
That sentence made me a little light headed…